Pages

About this blog

As with my website, my blogs espouse the philosophy “not all performance problems are technical” and that in most stable environments user behaviour / usage patterns are typically the source of most correctable performance problems. So if you are into bits, bytes, locks, latches etc this is not the place for you, but if you are after ways to genuinely enhance performance and work with your systems and customers to achieve better, more predictable performance, read on.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A workflow Case Review on how to lower the number of Workflow Background Processes

Having encountered a number of sites running upward of over 5,000 workflow background processes per day, in some cases over 15,000 per day, it never ceases to amaze me how so many sites get themselves into so much trouble running far too many background processes. Not only does this thrash your application but it also has an impact on your concurrent request tables as each request adds a record in the fnd_concurrent_requests table for each run.


Just recently I have been corresponding with a site that contacted me regarding issues with their workflow application and this has prompted me to put together a case review to articulate how I would look to resolve the issue of too many workflow background processes for the particular scenario outlined.

The full case review can be found on my web site:
http://www.piper-rx.com/pages/case_reviews/case_wf_bgp.pdf

It’s pointless looking for poor performing code with this issue…
This is a good example of my statement “Not all performance issues are solved by code tuning”.


-Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment